The historic Castello Faletti di Barolo, in Serralunga d’Alba, Piedmont, will host a wine museum.
The castle, located in the heart of Langhe, in the province of Cuneo, is a medieval fortress and an ideal home for a wine museum. It will be transformed inside and in three thousand square metres, through multimedia pictures, it will show how wine is made: processes, terrains, seasons, colours, tastes, but also tell about the history, literature, art, and smells.
The Langhe area is well known for famed wines as Barolo, Dolcetto, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo as well as for great food. Several of the local food specialties and recipes are truffles-based; Alba,the main center of the area, located 10km away from Serralunga, is named the ‘Italian capital of truffle’.
In a few minutes drive, within a few km range, the area offers visitors a lot of attractions and places that are worth to visit.
The tour we suggest takes you through the area named “Via del Barolo” (the Barolo road). It offers a great opportunity to combine visits to a lot of historic sites and wine museums with sampling of some of the most excellent wines and great food, as well as admiring breathtaking countryside landscapes. Below you have the main attractions in the area and the tour itinerary map.
- Alba: The Duomo (XV Century), Medieval towers, S.Giovanni Battista Church, Castello di Grinzane (8 km outside the city) which houses the regional enoteca and a wine museum. Events: ‘Palio degli Asini’ festival and truffle fair in October.
- Serravalle delle Langhe: Palazzo Comunale and Oratorio S.Michele.
- Mombarcaro: center located upon the highest hill of the Langhe area; tasting of local cheese is not to miss.
- La Morra: Medieval center, important for its culinary traditions. Among the several local specialties: ‘Bollito langarolo’, ‘Taglierini’, ‘Stracotto al Barolo’, and of course truffles-based recipes.
- Barolo: Medieval castle; Barolo wine festival, is an event not to miss, if you visit the area early September.
- Dogliani: one of the most important centers in the area for wine producing; among the wine events taking place there: Sagra del Dolcetto (festival of Dolcetto wine) in September.
- Pollenzo: the Royal Castle (XIV century).
- Cherasco: Castello Visconteo (XIV century castle).
For more wine tours in Piedmont, see also wine tour in Monferrato.